Listed below are several helpful topics that are great to know and understand as a member of the Centerville Band program. You can also visit our FAQ’s for more answers to common questions.
Perhaps one of the most valuable CJB tools you can use is the Wednesday Sheet. These sheets will give you the schedule for the next 7-14 days, depending on upcoming activities. You can expect to see CJB information, parent information, and school/band related information. The sheet will list where the kids are supposed to be and when they are supposed to be there. The Band Directors will post the Wednesdays Sheets during marching band season each and every Wednesday.
When picking up your child directly from competitions/events
Parents must fill out a Request for Release form (found on CHARMS) if they plan to take their child home with them from any event. The form should be filled out and given to the band directors prior to an event. No one is to take their child from an event without permission from the Director. When it is time to leave with your child, meet the Head Chaperone at the band’s staging area for that event. Your child must be with you to verify they are leaving with you. Band members are only allowed to get a ride home with their own parents. This process is set up for your child’s safety and to help the entire band leave quickly and seamlessly from every event.
The Northmont Premier
This first performance is an exhibition event at Northmont High School. This is a great opportunity for the directors to receive an early critique of the show. It also gives the performers the opportunity to perform in front of a very appreciative audience.
Tickets will be sold at the gate and generally run around $10. When possible it is always fun if you are able to sit as group and cheer on not just our students, but all of the hard-working bands.
Some General Competition FYI
- We generally compete in two circuits:
- Mid States Band Association (MSBA) is a regional organization that sponsors competitions generally in the Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana region. These are smaller competitions at high school stadiums, with admission typically $8-10. In the past we’ve performed at Kings, Bellbrook, and Mason.
- Bands of America (BoA)/ Music for All (MFA) features regional contests in several cities nationwide. This circuit culminates and the end of our season with the final Grand National contest in Indianapolis. These events are more expensive and cost $20-30 range. Separate admissions must be paid for Prelims, Semi-Finals, and Finals.
- At MSBA events we will generally perform in the evening (Open Class bands go last).
- BOA Regionals/Super Regionals – the band will perform in preliminaries Saturday morning/early afternoon then hopefully again Saturday night in finals.
- The BOA Grand Nationals – Students perform Thursday or Friday, hopefully again on Saturday for Semi-finals and possibly Saturday evening for finals.
- Hotels for Grand Nationals – downtown hotels are the most convenient and the most expensive. The whole town is a sell-out on Grand Nationals weekend as 90 bands are in the area plus their parents. Many veterans have already booked their hotel. Some book when they are checking out the year before.
- Bands are generally scheduled on 15 minute intervals.
- It is a common courtesy to wait until a band’s performance is complete before exiting/ entering the stands.
- Concessions will be available
- Photography is permitted, however due to copyright rules combined with the accessibility of social media, video recording is prohibited at all events for spectators.
- Set cell phones to silent or vibrate
- Band-related t-shirt/novelty vendors at most events – bring cash as not all are set up for credit cards (BoA events are all set up for credit cards)
- Encourage every band through cheer and applause
Thursday Run Throughs
Most weeks the band will have a run through of the show so come early and see how far they have progressed! Plan to be at the stadium (if no soccer/football game) at about 8:45.
- Commitment cards and medical forms are due at Turn In night (May).
- Fees are due on dessert night (July). No one participates in band camp that hasn’t paid.
- Band Camp is mandatory.
- Soaring Sounds – All kids volunteer all day and evening for this event. We also need many parent volunteers to make the day run smoothly.
- Uniform Fitting day is TBA and individual pictures will be taken that day by Nicholas Studios. Band Members need to bring their MTX shoes for the fitting and also be prepared to sit for their individual picture.
- The Washington Twp. Firemen’s Ice Cream Social is on a Sunday in August. It is a long-standing band tradition that all the kids volunteer 2 1/2 hour shifts as a service project. It is a show of appreciation from the band to the community for their support of us.
- Marching Band members receive a P.E. waiver. Students must participate in two “seasons” in order to completely fulfill their P.E. requirement.
- Your child should have a labeled large water jug, at least 1 gallon, filled with ice and water at every practice. You can fill them at home or leave them in your locker and fill at the school. The band takes frequent water breaks and lots of water is consumed.
- Sunscreen – have it and use it. Nothing is worse then getting a sunburn right at the beginning of band camp then having to spend many more days in the hot sun with uncomfortable skin.
- Forms – All forms are on CHARMS.